TBB Asks: School Memories
Since it’s Thursday I thought today would be fun to go Throwback Thursday style and do The Blended Blog Asks – Back to School questions. Let’s take a little walk down memory lane, shall we?
(1) Love school or hate it? Mostly loved it, though that love wained towards the end a bit I think, ha!
(2) Start school before or after Labor Day? It was always after Labor Day except one year we started a week early so we would finish a week earlier in the summer so that school could do some construction.
(3) Wake up: Eager beaver or slow poke? I was an eager beaver until high school. Somewhere around 9th or 10th grade I stopped being a morning person. Yet I still took an early bird class in 11th grade because I was crazy.
(4) Favorite breakfast? I was a cereal and milk girl and pretty much still am, just added coffee to the mix as an adult.
(5) Favorite cereal? When I was a kid it was Rice Krispies, Cocoa Pebbles and Frosted Flakes. Now it’s Honey Bunches of Oats.
(6) School uniform or no uniform? No uniform for me! Though based on some of my clothing choices, maybe I needed one, haha!
(7) New outfit for the first day or no? YES. Every year I had to have a new outfit, even into high school. I remember going shopping with my mom and grandma at Marshalls and picking out school clothes in like early August and then putting it on layaway.
(8) Walk to school or ride the bus? I rode the bus, then when my mom got a job at my school I got to ride with her for a couple of years. In middle school I’d walk home sometimes if my bus was late. Early on in high school my dad would drop me off because I hated the bus and then by my junior year I was driving.
(9) Backpack, tote or messenger bag? I think before I graduated I used some variation of all three. Does anyone remember those Espirit tote bags that were so cool in the 90s? I definitely rocked one of those!
(10) Eat school lunch or pack lunch? I packed lunch. Thanks mom!
(11) Remember the little milk cartons? White or chocolate? Yes I do, we would get them for a snack in kindergarten. I used to choose chocolate.
(12) Paper bag or lunchbox? Again when I was younger it was all about picking out a lunchbox each year. By high school I was pretty much just brown bagging it.
(13) Favorite thing to do at recess? My elementary school installed new playground equipment when I was in second grade. It was so popular we had to assign days to each class to get to play on it. It was always my favorite day when we got to play on it. The boys would spin us on the tire swing until we were dizzy. We also had this huge hill that we would slide down in the winter time.
(14) Favorite back to school supply item? I loved my Lisa Frank pencils and erasers! And there was nothing like the brand new box of Crayola Crayons.
(15) Chalkboard or dry erase board? I don’t think I had a classroom with a dry erase board until I was in college.
(16) Regular pencil or mechanical? Both. I liked the mechanical ones and of course we used to pretend they were “shots” ha.
(17) Homework as soon as you got home or after dinner? As soon as I got home. I wanted that shiz out of the way so I could go play or watch TV.
(18) Favorite after school snack? Oh man. I can’t believe I didn’t weigh more. I’d usually eat a candy bar like Kit Kat and then some chips for something salty. Washed down with a Coke of course. Shudder.
(19) Favorite after school show? It changed over the years – Reading Rainbow, Square One TV, Carmen Sandiego, Kids Incorporated, Mickey Mouse Club, Hey Dude, Saved by the Bell.
(20) Favorite subject in school? I always enjoyed my English/Language Arts classes, band and choir and French class.
(21) Least favorite school subject? MATHS. Ugh.
(22) Name of your best friend in high school? Sara and Jenni (JL). And then eventually Nate. Dawww.
(23) High school mascot type? Hylander. It was a dude in a kilt. But don’t cross a dude in a kilt. He’ll slay you.
(24) SAT or ACT? I took the ACT. It was stressful.
(25) Favorite year in school? A few stick out for me. They were usually after a less great year. 3rd grade, 8th grade, 10th grade and 12th grade I think would be my top four.
(26) Class ring or no class ring? I got a class ring. Still have it.
(27) Attend or not attend high school reunion? I did go to my ten year, I’m not sure if we’ll go when the 20th comes round. Thanks to social media we’re actually pretty well in touch with a lot of folks from high school and we even still see and hang out with a number of them. So in a way it’s almost like we don’t even need a reunion!
So there you go – my school days complete with some fun and even awkward photos of young Bethie. I grew up in the 80s and 90s, what can I say? Did you like school? What were some of your favorite memories?